Monday, April 6, 2009

Who Left the Light On?


In my house I am the " lights police". I patrol the back bedrooms, the bathroom and the cellar looking for any offenders brazen enough to leave a room without turning the lights off. Not only is it better for our wallets, but it is also something that we need to be conscious of and instill in our children - energy conservation.
So imagine my surprise one night, while I was roaming around checking on sleeping kids, when I notice there is a light left on out in the barn, that I just happen to only be able to see out that child's window. " Who left the light on?" I grumble to myself. Of course I pull on a coat and go schlup through the mud to the barn and turn off the light. Next night, same thing. Next night- you guessed it. Night four it is definitely beyond annoying! I interrogate the kids, my husband. All plead innocent and now I'm bound and determined to figure it out.
Next morning I caught the culprits red handed. Or red-hooved. It was the calves standing in the aisle in the barn, licking the light switches and turning it on. The really funny thing is, the light that was repeatedly left on is a light that shines out behind the barn precisely where the hay feeder is located. Maybe calves are afraid of the dark too.

In the spirit of energy conservation and peak oil here are two websites definitely worth a read. Of course I don't agree with everything, but that would be boring anyway. Thought provoking to say the least.

www.grist.org
www.theoildrum.com

No comments:

Post a Comment