Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ayla's Insulin Pump Arrives!


Here's Ayla, hamming it up for the camera wearing her pink Animas Ping pump. That's my hand holding the remote, looking for a mute or pause button. For the kid, not the pump that is! Wouldn't that be a neat feature! I have been busily reading and cramming as much info as I can to prepare for her pump. Now we have it, and now we have to wait for an appointment to go get trained. In the meantime I've read " Pumping Insulin" and just interlibrary loaned " Think Like Pancreas "
We clipped Ayla's pump on her pocket and clapped and cheered while she tore around the house at " super speed ". She looked like a very industrious little toddler with a pager or cell phone on. It was really cute! Then she walked back up to me and said, " I want this thing off of me." I was thinking in my head, uh-oh, once we put this thing on for real is she gonna leave it alone? I guess we'll see soon enough. In the meantime, I will be scouring the manual and watching the informational CD that came with the pump. If only she could be up and running by Halloween.
Last Halloween was the first since diagnosis, try taking a 2 year old type 1 diabetic, trick or treating and then trying to control what she ate but still let her be a kid. I was so worn out I came home and had a glass of wine!
Do you remember that song from the 90's I think it was, or maybe late 80's that went , " Pump, pump it up, pump it up , while your feet are thumping." Something like that. Now I can't get that out of my head! I stand by my warning to be careful what you're singing out in the barn. I have been busted so many times belting out really embarassing ballads, or singing my own renditions such as " I kissed a cow, and I liked it!" Only to turn around and see a tourist clapping, and then ask about buying sausage. Well, yesterday I got caught by the milk inspector in an early unannounced inspection, singing the " pump, pump it up...." song a little too enthusiastically while adding some choice dance moves for the cows added enjoyment. He got a good chuckle, and I passed my inspection.
At the bottom of my copy were the words.............
" Good Job!" and a hand drawn smiley face.

4 comments:

  1. LOL! I bet the inspector likes coming to your house--nothing like a smile to make the day!
    Congrats on the precious pink pump Ayla!! You are such a big girl now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Jessika! Love it!

    So excited for you all and for Ayla that she got her pump! Wonderful news!

    How is Zoie's kitty, M&M?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Can't wait until that pump is actually hooked up.
    M&M is holding his own. I think he has improved but it's hard to know if he really has, or if its just wishful thinking. It's been hard on Zoie.

    ReplyDelete