Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Omnivore's Dilemma * Young Readers Edition *

This young readers edition of the famous The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan is brilliant in my opinion. What a great idea to make such an important message available to younger generations. I think my kids, and probably other kids raised on farms and families that frequently purchase food directly from farmers, have a better understanding and grasp of environmental issues and where our food comes, but it is even a wonderful teaching tool for us as well. The librarian at our Lubec Memorial Library pointed it out to me on a recent trip there, so I checked it out, thinking I'd probably be the one to read it and share some parts out loud, but before I even realized it, Zoie ( 10 years old ), had spotted it, ( the purple cover and cute food face may have helped )and was curled up on the couch reading it. She then got up, of her own volition, and went out in the kitchen to check for hidden sources of corn in the house and even told Jude ( 8 years old ) that there is corn in cover of that National Geographic Magazine. It's true. Then we talked about how there is corn in Ayla's glucose tablets as well. I think this book would make an excellent gift to the young reader (s ) in your life and would make an excellent addition to your homeschooling curriculum. I can think of so many projects that we can do just from this book alone.

Now, just for the cuteness factor, here's a gratuitous pic of 4 month old " Henrietta The Naughty Heifer ". She is sporting her new blue halter. That halter FREAKED out the rest of the cattle for some reason and they seemed to scorn her for a day. Do you see that cow's mouth " laughing " at her in the left hand corner of the pic?




And finally a pic of Dear Ayla, caught in a sweet moment. I tell you, those are few and far between these days! The terrible twos are nothing. I firmly believe three year olds are about as trying as you can get! She has been quite the precocious little tyrant lately, and I'm pretty sure all four of her siblings currently carry " the mark of Ayla's wrath " as we speak. It is tough. She has a serious health issue, gets a lot of attention as a result, there is a certain amount of guilt related to having to inflict things like multiple finger pricks daily, site changes every 2-3 days, more attention drawn to every last thing she eats. This is a whole new can of worms for this seasoned Mother of five. Every single decision we make has an impact doesn't it? There's a reason they call it " Mindful Parenting ". At the end of the day, when she falls asleep, I do a quick finger check, making sure she is safe for the moment--and sit back and stare and count her breaths. I'm so intensely thankful for all my children. In good times and even bad, I've never loved like this.


3 comments:

  1. You are an awesome mom, and you inspire me!
    Wishing you a wonderful holiday season full of special moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Liz! What a fabulous mother you are.

    I also know that for my kids, the Terrible Twos were a breeze (and with my first I briefly thought I must be a fabulous mother!) With him, it was the Thrashing Threes (or the Throaty Threes, as usually the tantrums were accompanied by screams of rage) that put me straight. LOL

    I think you do a wonderful job and I wish you a peaceful Christmas with NO WORRY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I laughed out loud! I too, thought I was a fabulous mother when my first, who is now ten years old, sailed through the twos while toddlers all around us crumpled to the floor in tantrums. Then she turned three and introduced me to the sharing of embarassing stories in public, talking back, and revenge pooping when her little brother was born and we were trying to sell our house! Thanks for transporting me back in time!

    ReplyDelete