Tuesday, December 8, 2009

We have a New Baby !

Meet " Angus ". He was born in the snow behind the barn on Sunday morning. Angus is a bull calf out of " Ellie " and is 3/4 Jersey 1/4 Angus. Such a stinkin cutie, it's a shame he's not a she. If you look closely he has a white tail switch just like his Mom.



Going for the " good stuff "! They are so blissfully HAPPY, I could never take a calf away from its Mama. Even though they eventually become a handful, it's worth it to let our cows raise their own calves.




6 comments:

  1. Jessika, I am so happy to hear someone else say that they could never take a calf away from it's momma. I just can't imagine bottle feeding calves and taking away the beauty of seeing cow and calf together. Sometimes it means I don't get as much milk until they are weaned but it's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is beautiful. Congratulations to you and Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm such a sucker for nursing Mama's and their sweet milky babes...... My own, Ida May, is sleeping peacefully amidst the noise and distraction of 4 older siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is precious! Congrats!
    We can't bear to take calves away either, somehow it completes the whole picture for the cows to be allowed to be maternal (and not just producers).

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is a cutie! I'm glad everything went ok with the birth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is such a rugged little guy! I worried about him being born this late in the season but he's tough! Yesterday he was " hooning " around like nobody's business!

    ReplyDelete