Sunday, March 7, 2010

Kids and Cheese

I'm happy to report that we had a GREAT time last night. I laughed so hard and really enjoyed myself. Despite a huge setback in the morning, my Mom got sick and couldn't watch our 5 kids, after much brainstorming and many phonecalls we actually came up with some FABULOUS babysitters. They were perfect, the kids had a wonderful time and Ayla was safe and Ida May content. I'm still in a state of shock. I can't believe that they were fine. These lovely ladies were brave enough to take on watching Ayla, and readily learned what was necessary. No one has done that, I didn't think it was possible. Anything is possible, I guess.
It's a beautiful day, the cows are waiting for me. Jules looks REALLY close. She has been hanging around this dead tree that fell in their paddock during our last storm. I'm almost willing to bet, that's where she plans to drop that calf. She stands behind the small fallen tree and thinks I can't see her. It's like an elephant standing behind a telephone pole. She has one horn, and has been using it. The humane dehorning I started last March, was so humane in fact, that it only took off one horn! If she doesn't calve soon, I'm gonna have to take it off anyway. Either she has to be tied up, or her favorite victim does. Gale is the same story, one horn. I hate it.
I think I'm gonna make a Caerphilly cheese today, it'll culture while we are at church.
You can read about Caerphilly here:
http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/caerphillycheese

The cream cheese is already started. It is a 2 day process, but I love that recipe best.

I'm gonna start some seeds too! We hung our towels out on the line yesterday, I stood, mesmerized, just looking at those towels waving on the line with the woods in the backdrop, I could hear Ellie softly mooing to her calf, Angus, --who is getting braver than she likes-- and slipping under the fence. Life is good.

4 comments:

  1. The cheese sounds great, thanks!
    The quotes and poem about it at the bottom of the page are grand!
    Have a great day full of smiles and laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've called to see how everyone made out with the overnite and the PARTY?! It sounds like it was a success by all-thank God! I was anxious for everyone-glad to read the great news-and the Tyfoid is doing better today-at least some parts are!! Dad has just gotten back from work and your brother is here-they wanted to know about last nite!! All is well can't wait to hear about your new arrival!! luv ya, xoxo(Beaver)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your still with us,Typhoid! The calf is not here yet, I'll catch up with you tonight!

    ReplyDelete