Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pump Visit

Today we had a visit with a diabetes educator CDE, concerning our desire to have Ayla on an insulin pump. Man, it was like a test. We were questioned, quizzed, and graded. Overall we were in pretty good shape, need to work more on our record keeping. We also need to have a visit with the Dr. next week, and I think they will order a pump after that.
We got to get our hands on the animas ping, the pump we've chosen and feel it, push buttons, we even each got an infusion set inserted. I'm happy to say firsthand, that it hurts more having your finger pricked for a bg check than it did getting the set inserted. She will have a pink pump and pink infusion sets. Best of all rarely any shots after that. I cannot wait! We are 2 1/2 hours from the diabetes center, and pump start is intensive, with quite a few training visits, so it will be difficult but the rewards are many......................
..........................Okay, just getting back to finishing this. Ayla fell headfirst into an impossibly small crack in between my bed and hers trying to climb into bed. Really scared us! I thought she broke her neck or at least would be bloody when we pulled her out by her feet, but she is apparently fine! I swear, these kids are trying to scare me and prepare me for every conceivable emergency imaginable. I think I have aged so much in the last 2 years. A couple days ago I found my first grey hair. Are you kidding me? I'm 31 years old.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there! You certainly should get the mom of the year award! I am glad that Ayla is all right after her tumble.

    The pump sounds wonderful. I think it will be a big relief for you when you are able to get all the details worked out and Ayla is able to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree--the pump (especially in pink!) sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first grey hair -- congratulations! Be proud of your grey hairs, along with every wrinkle and every scar. You are doing an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete